THESPIKE.GG Valorant Event & News Coverage

Forums - General Discussion

Rankings are weird
I feel like the rankings, especially world rankings, are inherently wrong. The system is based of irregular tournaments, and thus the region with more recent tournaments is awarded more points. For example, because Korea is having weekly Clan Battles, VS is winning quite often and therefore getting points more frequently than regions with less frequent high-level tournaments (like NA having only the NSG monthlys recently).

Similarly, Equinox Esports (aka China Nguyen) are supposedly #6, but they have only been winning small, B/C tier tournaments. They just got stomped this weekend at NSG tournament, proving that this system is misleading. Over the past 2 months, they have been over-rewarded for competing against teams that are a much lower level than them.

This might just be me having bias, but I do think that there should be a weight factor that is influenced by the "tier" of the tournament to help prevent the tier2 scene from increasing so rapidly without having faced anyone above them, and perhaps taking an average of tournaments over the last X weeks/months to prevent regions with a larger number of tournaments be over-represented. Thoughts?
2020-10-19 09:46

Comments

aimDLL | PicKaRuu
This situation has caught my mind lately. You are quite right, this is also true for some teams, for example some teams are stuck or falling where they are because they play less matches than others. I think this situation should be corrected.
2020-10-19 09:55
Exactly! I get the logic behind punishing teams that don't play a lot, but especially in the NA scene, there has not been the opportunity for an A-tier tourney in 2 months, and only 2 B-tier tournaments. There needs to be an equation that compares the # of the tournaments a team has competed in to the # of competitions they COULD have competed in at their level
2020-10-19 10:05
It is tough to calculate everything with all regions having different # of events and teams. 2021 [or post pandemic] will be the true test for teams to make a global ranking that is accurate. I belive the ranking system is as accurate as it can be for region but global is tough to calculate for any esport right now
2020-10-19 10:03
100% agree. Which is why I like that vlr doesn't even attempt to make a world rankings. But even in regional, do you really think Equinox Esports is #2? LG #4? MMG #5? These teams have been competing in a multiplicity of C-tier and weekly tournaments, and they have been getting over-rewarded for that while Tier 1 teams like TSM, Cloud9, and Sentinels have been losing too many points because of the lack of competitions available for them. The system needs to recognize both the availability of tournaments for teams as well as the quality of those tournaments.
2020-10-19 10:07
Yah, I agree with your point about the point structure but it is tough to classify some events as some regions havent had the chance to host an A-tier event yet but then NA has had monthly NSG events with top teams.
I think we will see the top teams shake out and the rankings make more sense after the First Strike play out. Until then, this is more of a placeholder and team tracker for each region.
2020-10-19 11:21
I agree that some regions haven't had chances for large tournaments. Specifically, I was thinking that a tournament's "tier" should be based on the # of top teams in the region, rather than an arbitrary thing like a prize pool or something. For example, the Clan Battles Korea should not be rated so highly in Asia because they don't contain many top teams according to the Asia regional rankings. If there were to be a Korea region, however, they would be top tier because practically every good Korean team (as far as I'm aware) is participating in these
2020-10-19 11:41
Also, thespike.gg should remake their regions to model Riot's distinctions to provide better analysis: NA, EU, CIS, JAP, KOR, BRA, Lat Am, Turkey, Asia - Pacific, Oceania. Right now, thespike is trying to compare all of Asia at once, which Riot distinguishes as 3 separate regions. This creates the same issues in the regional rankings that are currently present in the world rankings.
2020-10-19 11:46

Add Comment

You must be logged in to be able to post comments.

Login – OR – Register