THESPIKE.GG Valorant Event & News Coverage

Forums - General Discussion

Valorant League
What are your thoughts on a Valorant league like the Overwatch League? Maybe?
2021-04-10 14:21

Comments

ANS | Germanicus
I all but guarantee that Riot are looking towards a regional league model as VALORANT's future like in LoL. IMO both leagues and an open system like CS can work, it's just too bad as a league would shut out some orgs that could be great for the game.
2021-04-10 14:24
I really hope they [Riot] make Valorant eSports and leagues as open as they possibly can. This game is really good and it has a good leap but still needs to convince more players to start playing it.

One way they could do that would be to deal with ESEA, Starladder, Faceit and many more so they can expand the game and its brand. Also, hopefully, when COVID-19 is out of the way and LANs start to come up that they are involved in hosting tournaments and create interest in the game.

As for the absolute top tier teams - something like majors on a national and international level is granted

Some really extra things could be - since Valorant is nation-based (Agents coming from different countries for example) they could have their own WC like WCG once had or something like Overwatch once had. Overwatch WC was the best hype for the game.

Achieving at least let's say 65% of all this would make Valorant the apex predator of FPS games in the eSport and overall scene.

All Valorant does now is to thrive on ranked matchmaking and VCT. If it continues the game will lose the momentum it had since last year because people are losing interest fast. I myself am an example of this...
2021-04-14 08:41
ANS | Germanicus
You've obviously never looked into LoL esports, 95% of those things will NEVER happen.
2021-04-14 10:51
You are right. I have NEVER looked into LoL eSports. But Valorant is not LoL, and if they are somewhat smart they will be forced to take a different approach to this.

Hence me hoping for all this :3
2021-04-14 17:57
ANS | Germanicus
LoL community had to fight tooth and nail to get more than one international event a year. World cup events get suggested there all the time but nothing's ever happened. Its not all bad at all - Europe's t2 lol scene is probably be the best t2 scene in any esport, fewer international events means the ones we do get are more hype, etc. But Val will NEVER be as open as CS is, or close. That's just the way Riot operates.
2021-04-14 20:08
do you think riot gonna keep this vct format for 2022 ?
2021-04-15 03:51
ANS | Germanicus
Probably, maybe with a few tweaks. I'd be expecting big changes the year after.
2021-04-15 10:21
Yeah, they had to - and Riot has (maybe had?) to listen if they want an active game, which I have no clue if they did or did not. All I know is that DotA2 dominates the ARTS/ MOBA scene at the moment. Players in CS:GO fought as well. And in many other players in many other games for that matter of fact.

Don't you think or believe that these things need to change? Even for a corporate titan like Riot in these cases? I mean, releasing an eSport FPS game will in a "feed" and highly competitive market is really hard - you need to create more competition and collaborations with other main actors to grow in the word of mouth as well as other key performance indexes (if they measure things like that). If you do some research and study the big mistakes and flaws Blizzard made with Overwatch you will understand that closure is bad. People are fleeing Overwatch League because it's the only "competitive" there is during the season and it doesn't stimulate the competition. There are no farming leagues or anything else. Just the typical 6 kill Reaper player of the game which can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/E1NbC4px6pc that boasts the game for a small portion of the ego, and nothing else than just this. Just look at the financial numbers and viewership numbers of the Overwatch League that Blizzard has in store for us if you would like to know more and you'll see for yourself. Let's just hope they do right with Overwatch 2 :3

You do understand that Valorant is reaching its stagnation in like 4-6+ months? If there is no opening up in Faceit, ESEA, Starladder, ESL and so on - this game will have it harder to attract the broader spectrum of the overall gaming community as its whole.

I mean, this is why they are in such a rush - even though it's a pandemic and during it - to have a LAN. And this is in Iceland - of all the places in the world. Iceland. Who I think is great but yet signs that they are stressed in creating MORE awareness than it currently has to win over more players. This is just my analysis...

World cups are often for "marking" purposes and usually displayed during a game early days. It would be fun to keep this! WCG was the only one who made it a competition in some manner, and somewhat later on Blizzard with Overwatch world cup (which I think they did well) because the community voted the players who they wanted to represent their country

We'll just wait and see, but remember who voiced this and when! ;)

Good discussion nevertheless :D
2021-04-15 05:47
ANS | Germanicus
Of course, I actively follow(ed) Overwatch as well. I'm not saying that I don't think things should be more open, if I came across that way I didn't mean to. I'd love for VAL to keep a pretty open system, the hybrid that we have right now is actually pretty good. I'm saying I know things like this are never gonna happen. Its inevitable Riot will lock things down, its just the way they operate. You can already see signs of it. In LoL, caster duos don't exist when they're directly employed by Riot. Every caster in the western leagues swaps partners every day. (this isn't true in the eastern leagues, where the casters are all freelancers). You can already see it happening with Masters, where Sean Gares and ddk weren't always casting together, they were swapping around partners every match. The signs are all there of Riot locking this down.
2021-04-15 10:16
I like the system how it is now, no matter how confusing it is to some people
2021-04-10 14:31
+1
2021-04-11 04:27
paTiTek | tamas1n
yup i fully agree
2021-04-12 04:57
+1
2021-04-12 15:59
the only one who complain is some pros that think team that won shouldnt go to open again
2021-04-15 03:52
i prefer things as they are tbh
2021-04-12 05:52
I mean with a franchise system, regions like CIS and Turkey, may have a better chance of showcasing their talent compared to the one slot they get for Masters. But I do agree with the majority about keeping the scene the way it is.
2021-04-12 11:26
The problem is that they don't want to end up in a situation similar to CS, where the big orgs get the tournament slots
2021-04-13 07:47
CIS and turkey don't have their own slots for masters they are grouped with Europe which gets 2 slots in masters 2 and 4(more than NA) in masters 3. there is a chance that 4 teams from CIS/Turkey make it if a team from CIS/turkey wins masters 3. turkey gets 3 slots for the European challengers finals, sure CIS only gets 1 but the only team that I think could beat the top NA and EU teams, Forze, is about to lose to an unsigned team in challengers 2 CIS so gambit (or maybe crow crowd, they are a really good team) will be the 1 CIS team that makes it to challengers finals EMEA.
2021-04-15 12:20
nvm forze won
2021-04-15 13:57
I would prefer an open league with international tourneys like csgo does, but fuck a set of domestic leagues like LoL would get far more money than a single international league.
2021-04-12 14:06
probably true
2021-04-12 16:00
Overwatch League KILLED Overwatch competitive scene... A closed in-house league where you BUY yourself in for millions of dollars to own a license name and so on. So stupid!

Valorant should adopt a strategy more like CS:GO. More open, wide and so on. It can keep its system as it is but it should be open for like ESEA, Faceit, ESL and others.

Also, a better eSport support would be great and you have a game that will give CS:GO a run for its pennies
2021-04-13 02:13
CSGO is in NO WAY open, with ESL and flashpoint requiring investments from orgs to enter it's streamlining it's way towards complete dominance from rich orgs. Even before those systems were created in regions outside of EU, there was very little way for tier 2 teams to ever play in tier 1 events, especially on LAN
2021-04-13 07:50
+1
2021-04-13 22:17
drone | ceeSidd
+1
2021-04-14 00:26
What are you talking about? In higher tiers of competition yeah of course you need financial backing as an organisation or whatever. Usually, players or full teams get picked up by these organisations AFTER they've had the opportunity to show what they go for and offer them the opportunity to compete in higher teams. And this is not what I was discussing

To reach that far you have to start somewhere right? In ESL you have ladders and tournaments which enriches the competitive integrity of the game in a broader spectrum. You have Faceit and ESEA with their different level of competition where it promotes more growth than any games intern matchmaking system. You have farming ladders and leagues that are not INTERN but EXTERN. One of the best players of all time - s1mple - was farmed by open competition such as Starladder and FPL. I don't know how much you know about this, but these days it is more common for a new player to play in Faceit BEFORE reaching a somewhat high rank in CS:GO matchmaking. What does that tell you?

CS:GO was MOLDED by the support of small LANs (and big ones) which is deep-rooted in its culture. Often these days when someone says LAN you think of CS or Quake.

ou also have national in-house tournaments such as Fragbite Master, Nordic Masters and many other European

Something Overwatch never had and something I hope Valorant embraces and opens up.

All this culminates in a culture of the strong competitive scene and more team focusing performance AS WELL AS individual skill than just jump in into an intern ranked ladder and do your shit with nothing else telling you where you are and how you are except a badge that displays from Iron to Radiant. If that's the road Riot wanna go then you will have but you will have Overwatch part II when it comes to competitive play.

Overwatch League is more a disgrace to Blizzard than Diablo 3 auction house ever will. They invested millions and millions as they tied good names and sponsors to it just to flop. In terms of peak viewership, the 2020 season hit just over 138,000, compared to the much higher overall numbers for 2019. In terms of just the grand finals weekend, ESC reports 183,000 viewership peak and 92,890 average viewers for 2020 to the 318,000 peak and 113,750 average of 2019. This is the result of a CLOSED competition which focus on an intern market. And Overwatch doesn't face any growth either. Is a worse decline than ever before. It is a fun game, I will give it that - but it DIED so hard that Blizzard is so desperate on resurrecting it with a sequel xD

So, please... Lets go for round 2 so you can tell me once again how CS:GO is NOT OPEN again?
2021-04-14 04:03
No worries man, to be honest, you're right about a lot of what you said, but I guess I'm looking at it from a more NA perspective where regions outside of Europe for years were completely shut out of tournament slots with the occasional Dreamhack Open being available to play in for the sake of making a name for themselves. At the end of the day, all that the tournament organizers (mostly ESL and their partners) cared about was the branding and recognition for the sake of profits, rather than allowing talent to form and shine. In a way (hot take), COVID is going to save counterstrike since it's allowing a fresh, new wave of talent to finally form and shine, and finally, through the BLAST circuit, there are teams from regions we've never even seen compete at a top-level, getting tournament slots, through open qualifiers that aren't actively repressing the talent in various regions as we've seen in previous years. Yes, of course, players like ZyWoO and s1mple coming up through the FPL circuit are examples that do favor your point, however that kind of situation only really occurs in EU, since other regions are kind of a joke, especially to team owners. Players like vanity, teams like Bad News Bears got repeatedly cucked by the ESL system, and I'm sure t2 teams in Europe experienced the same thing. CS is extremely favored towards the big orgs, not nearly as much as OW was, but if COVID didn't hit, and ESL and Flashpoint continues their conquest towards exclusivity we would've reached the point that the OWL ran into.
2021-04-14 09:26
Sorry it's poorly organized
2021-04-14 09:26
This reply was made on a phone so sorry of things are missing out. God damn I hate phones... xD
2021-04-14 04:07
I 100% would love to see a Valorant League following the same format as the OWL.
It would be awesome to watch.
2021-04-14 04:14
Team Heretics Uri
Riot will make the same as in LOL, at the start of lol u had tournaments like first strike and masters, then u will have leagues like in CSGO where u can qualify and at some point the league will evolve in to how it is now days in lol where some orgs have a spot in the league and u just sign players
2021-04-15 10:24

Add Comment

You must be logged in to be able to post comments.

Login – OR – Register