Valorant Controllers Guide
VALORANT Controllers Agents
As one of the four agent types in VALORANT, a Controller Agent specializes in manipulating the battlefield with their utility abilities. They excel at blocking off areas and limiting the enemy's movement, making them an essential component of any team. In this guide, we'll cover everything you need to know about playing as a controller in VALORANT, from their abilities to their playstyle and tips for success. You can also check our Initiators Guide to master multiple roles.
What is a Controller in VALORANT?
In VALORANT, controllers are agents that specialize in using utility abilities to manipulate the battlefield and limit the enemy’s field of view (FOV). VALORANT controllers are essential in blocking off areas, limiting sightlines, and disrupting the enemy's movements, making them an essential component of any team composition. Controllers are often paired with other agent types like Duelists or Iinitiators to create a well-rounded team.
Overview of Controllers' Abilities
VALORANT Controllers have a variety of abilities that allow them to manipulate the battlefield in different ways. These abilities typically fall into a few different categories:
- Smokes: Smokes are used to limit an enemy's FOV and prevent the enemy team from seeing your movements. They're essential for controlling areas of the map and can be used both defensively and offensively.
- Walls: Walls are used to block off areas entirely and limit the enemy team's movement. They're often used to create chokepoints or force the enemy team to take a specific path.
- Other Utility: Some controllers have other types of utility abilities that can be used to disrupt the enemy team's movement or control their actions. These abilities might include stuns, slows, or other debuffs.
All Controller Agents and their playstyles
There are currently five controller agents in VALORANT: Brimstone, Omen, Viper, Astra, and Harbor. Each of these controller VALORANT agents has a unique playstyle and set of abilities.
Brimstone is a versatile controller that can be used both offensively and defensively. Brimstone's abilities include the basic Stim Beacon and Incendiary grenade launcher, and his signature Sky Smoke, which allows him to set locations on a tactical map where his smoke clouds will land. His ultimate ability is the Orbital Strike, which lets him launch a lingering orbital strike laser that deals damage to anyone caught in its path. With these abilities, Brimstone is a powerful boots-on-the-ground commander and an asset to any team.
Omen is a stealthy controller that specializes in disrupting the enemy team's movements. His smokes can be used to block off areas, and his teleport ability allows him to quickly reposition himself. Omen's Basic Ability, Shrouded Step, equips him with a teleportation ability that allows him to quickly move around the map and flank his enemies. His Paranoia ability is a blinding orb that can be thrown forward to temporarily Nearsight and Deafen all players it touches. His Signature Ability, Dark Cover, lets him enter a phased world to place and target shadow orbs. Finally, Omen's Ultimate Ability, From the Shadows, equips him with a tactical map that allows him to teleport to a selected location.
Viper is a toxic VALORANT controller who uses her abilities to control the battlefield and limit the enemy team's movements. Viper's passive ability is Fuel and Toxin, which gradually generates and replenishes the toxin that fuels her abilities as a controller VALORANT agent. Her basic abilities are Snake Bite, which launches a canister that shatters upon hitting the floor, creating a lingering chemical zone that damages and applies Vulnerable, and Poison Cloud, which throws a gas emitter that perpetually remains throughout the round. Her signature ability is Toxic Screen, which throws a long line of gas emitters that form a wall. Viper's ultimate ability is Viper's Pit, which creates a huge toxic cloud in a large area, which can cause intense damage to enemies and disrupt their vision.
Astra is a cosmic controller that uses her abilities to manipulate the battlefield and control the enemy team's movements. Astra has a passive ability called Astral Form that lets her become an astral form, which can be placed on the map to gain information. Her basic abilities include Gravity Well, which creates a vortex, Nova Pulse, which blinds enemies, and Nebula/Dissipate, which creates a cloud that can be turned into a smoke screen. Astra's signature ability is Stars, which lets her place four stars on the map and activate them to create a smoke screen. Her ultimate ability is Cosmic Divide, which creates a wall that blocks bullets and reduces noise.
Harbor is a Controller agent in VALORANT, hailing from India's coast. With his mastery over ancient technology, he is a force to be reckoned with, able to control and summon masses of water to shield his allies and pummel his foes. Harbor's basic abilities include Cascade, which creates a wall of water that damages enemies on contact, and Cove, which creates a pool of water that slows enemies. His signature ability, High Tide, creates a barrier of water that shields himself and his allies. His ultimate ability, Reckoning, summons a massive wave that floods an area, dealing damage to enemies and leaving behind a pool of water that slows their movement. With his mastery over water, Harbor is a Controller agent who can manipulate the battlefield to his advantage and devastate his opponents.
Playing as a Controller: Tips for Success
Playing as a controller in VALORANT requires a specific set of skills and strategies. Here are a few tips to help you succeed:
- Communication is key: As a VALORANT controller, your abilities are essential for controlling the battlefield. Make sure to communicate with your team so that they know where you're placing smokes and walls as a controller VALORANT agent.
- Don't be afraid to experiment: VALORANT controllers have a variety of abilities that can be used in different ways. Don't be afraid to experiment with different placements and strategies to find what works best for you and your team as VALORANT controller agents.
- Master the art of timing: Timing is critical when playing as a VALORANT controller. Make sure to use your abilities at the right moment to block off the enemy team or create openings for your team as a controller VALORANT agent.
- Stay aware of your surroundings: As a VALORANT controller, it's important to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Keep an eye out for potential flanks and make sure to cover your team's backs as VALORANT controller agents.
- Practice your aim: While VALORANT controllers are primarily utility-based agents, they still need to be able to hold their own in gunfights. Make sure to practice your aim and keep your shooting skills sharp as a VALORANT controller agent.
How to Counter Controllers as an Opponent
If you're playing against a team with a skilled controller, it can be challenging to move around the map and take control of areas. Here are a few tips for countering controllers as an opponent:
- Use recon abilities: Recon abilities like Sova's Recon Bolt or Cypher's Trapwire can be used to reveal the location of enemy controllers and their abilities.
- Find alternative routes: If a controller has blocked off a particular area, look for alternative routes that can be used to flank the enemy team.
- Use smokes of your own: If the enemy team is using a lot of smokes, consider using your own to block their vision and limit their movements.
- Stay patient: Controllers excel at slowing down the enemy team's movements, so it's important to stay patient and wait for openings before making a move.
Advanced Strategies for Controllers
As you become more experienced with playing as a controller in VALORANT, there are a few advanced strategies you can use to take your gameplay to the next level:
- Fake out the enemy team: Use your abilities to create fakeouts and bait the enemy team into moving in the wrong direction.
- Coordinate with your team: Controllers are most effective when they're working with their team. Coordinate with your team to create openings and take control of areas of the map.
- Use your abilities to create opportunities: Controllers have the unique ability to manipulate the battlefield in their favor. Use your abilities to create openings for your team and take control of the map.
Playing as a controller in VALORANT requires a specific set of skills and strategies. From mastering the art of timing to staying aware of your surroundings, there are a few key things you can do to succeed as a controller. And as VALORANT continues to evolve, controllers will continue to play a critical role in team compositions.
What is the main role of a VALORANT controller?
The main role of a VALORANT controller is to use their utility abilities to manipulate the battlefield and control the enemy team's movements.
How many VALORANT controller agents are there in VALORANT?
There are currently five VALORANT controller agents in VALORANT: Brimstone, Omen, Viper, Astra, and Harbor.
What are some tips for playing as a controller VALORANT agent?
Some tips for playing as a controller VALORANT agent include communicating with your team, mastering the art of timing, and staying aware of your surroundings.
How can you counter VALORANT controllers as an opponent in VALORANT?
You can counter VALORANT controllers by using recon abilities, finding alternative routes, using smokes of your own, and staying patient.
What are some advanced strategies for playing as a VALORANT controller agent in VALORANT?
Some advanced strategies for playing as a VALORANT controller agent include fakeouts, coordination with your team, and using your abilities to create opportunities.
For all information about the VCT 2023, check out our VCT Hub. There you will find our FAQ to answer all of your questions and details about the teams, different Leagues, and more.