How to play Controllers in VALORANT
There are four controller agents in VALORANT, Omen, Viper, Astra, and Brimstone. The common ability of all these four agents is their ability to use smokes. Apart from that, each one of them has different skills for their team’s sake. These agents can also gain advantages in the attacking turn thanks to their lineups. Lineups are very useful after planting the bomb. What these agents do is that, except Omen of course, go far away from the planted bomb and use their abilities like mollies, stuns, and more from downtown. Let’s dig deeper and find out more about the controllers in VALORANT!
How to play Omen
Omen is one of the most popular controllers due to its ability to make plays. Ranked players love to make confusing plays and Omen is a great pick for it thanks to its teleporting abilities. Moreover, the agent is equipped with smoke and a flash, which makes it very effective. Omen was the second most picked controller after Viper at VCT 2022 - Champions Istanbul, with a 34.88% pick rate. The Champions winner, Bryan "pANcada" Luna, held a 1.23 rating with the agent throughout the tournament.
'Q' Paranoia - EQUIP a blinding orb. FIRE to throw it forward, briefly reducing the vision range and deafening all players it touches. This projectile can pass through walls.
'E' Dark Cover - EQUIP a shadow orb, entering a phased world to place and target the orbs. PRESS the ability key to throw the shadow orb to the marked location, creating a long-lasting shadow sphere that blocks vision. HOLD FIRE while targeting to move the marker further away. HOLD SECONDARY FIRE while targeting to move the marker closer. PRESS RELOAD to toggle normal targeting view.
'C' Shrouded Step - EQUIP a shrouded step ability and see its range indicator. FIRE to begin a brief channel, then teleport to the marked location.
'X' From The Shadows - EQUIP a tactical map. FIRE to begin teleporting to the selected location. While teleporting, Omen will appear as a Shade that can be destroyed by an enemy to cancel his teleport, or press EQUIP for Omen to cancel his teleport.
Tips for Omen
- You can use one-way smokes to gain advantage on the angle you or your teammates check. There are different one-way smokes in each map so be sure to check them out!
- Fake your teleport to confuse enemies. This will especially come in handy in clutch positions.
- If your teammates drop the bomb at the other side of the map, you can use your ult on the bomb and cancel it to take it with you to wherever you first used your ult to confuse enemies.
How to play Viper
Viper was the most picked controller at VALORANT Champions 2022 İstanbul. It had a 45.93% pick rate and it was the third most picked agent at the biggest tournament of the year. Viper’s Toxic Screen ability is a great tool for teams to focus their tactics on and that is one of the reasons that the agent is very powerful. Moreover, Viper has smoke, a gas wall, and molly. Dmitry "SUYGETSU" Ilyushin is a well-known Viper player and he played 214 rounds with the agent at Champions.
‘Q’ Poison Cloud - EQUIP a gas emitter. FIRE to throw the emitter that perpetually remains throughout the round. RE-USE the ability to create a toxic gas cloud at the cost of fuel. This ability can be RE-USED more than once and can be picked up to be REDEPLOYED.
‘E’ Toxic Screen - EQUIP a gas emitter launcher. FIRE to deploy a long line of gas emitters. RE-USE the ability to create a tall wall of toxic gas at the cost of fuel. This ability can be RE-USED more than once.
‘C’ - Snake Bite - EQUIP a chemical launcher. FIRE to launch a canister that shatters upon hitting the floor, creating a lingering chemical zone that damages and applies Vulnerable.
‘X’ - Viper’s Pit - EQUIP a chemical sprayer. FIRE to spray a chemical cloud in all directions around Viper, creating a large cloud that reduces the vision range of players and maximum health of enemies inside of it. HOLD the ability key to disperse the cloud early.
Tips for Viper
- While on defense, use your ult immediately if you hear a bunch of enemy footsteps nearby. This will stop their rush and spoil their plans and if they try to get into your ult, you will have the upper hand in that situation.
- The Snake Bit ability holds one of the most powerful post-plant lineups in the game. Ask your teammate to plant the bomb at a lineup angle so that you can run far away and deny your opponent’s bomb defuse by using your Snake Bite ability.
- Use your Toxic Screen ability to divide bomb sites on the attacking side so that you can take control of the site without giving any casualties.
How to play Astra
Astra is a fairly less popular controller compared to Omen and Viper. However, the agent has great potential with its ult, smokes and stun. It was picked 37 times at Champions and Myeongkwan "MaKo" Kim played 111 rounds with it. Jimmy "Marved" Nguyen is also a very well-known Astra player and the Canadian held a 1.19 rating at the biggest event of the year.
‘Q’ Nova Pulse - ACTIVATE a Star to detonate a Nova Pulse. The Nova Pulse charges briefly then strikes, concussing all players in its area.
‘E’ Nebula/Dissipate - ACTIVATE a Star to transform it into a Nebula (smoke). USE a Star to Dissipate it, returning the Star to be placed in a new location after a delay. Dissipate briefly forms a fake Nebula at the Star’s location before returning.
‘C’ Gravity Well - ACTIVATE a Star to form a Gravity Well. Players in the area are pulled toward the center before it explodes, making all players still trapped inside vulnerable.
‘X’ Cosmic Divide - When Cosmic Divide is charged, use SECONDARY FIRE in Astral Form to begin aiming it, then PRIMARY FIRE to select two locations. An infinite Cosmic Divide connects the two points you select. Cosmic Divide blocks bullets and heavily dampens audio.
Tips for Astra
- Gravity Well can be used to stop enemy rushes or executions. For example, putting a star under the Hookah Window in Bind can be very useful as the opponents will be pulled toward the center of the Gravity Well as soon as they jump out.
- Use the ultimate wisely, especially on the defensive side. Cosmic Divide can be a real problem for the Attackers and your team can benefit from it. On the other hand, it is a great weapon on the attacking side, especially for post-plant scenarios.
- Always take good cover before transforming into the Astral Form!
How to Play Brimstone
Brimstone was the least-picked controller at VALORANT Champions 2022 İstanbul with only 35 picks. Myeongkwan "MaKo" Kim held a 1.34 rating in 65 rounds and Bryan "pANcada" Luna followed him with a 1.14in 66 rounds. However, you might see it in your ranked games as the agent holds very powerful tools for solo queue. Smokes, molly, and the Steam Beacon might be very effective in your ranked games!
‘Q’ Incendiary - EQUIP an incendiary grenade launcher. FIRE to launch a grenade that detonates as it comes to a rest on the floor, creating a lingering fire zone that damages players within the zone.
‘E’ Sky Smoke - EQUIP a tactical map. FIRE to set locations where Brimstone's smoke clouds will land. ALTERNATE FIRE to confirm, launching long-lasting smoke clouds that block vision in the selected area.
‘C’ Stim Beacon - INSTANTLY toss a stim beacon in front of Brimstone. Upon landing, the stim beacon will create a field that grants players RapidFire and a speed boost.
‘X’ Orbital Strike - EQUIP a tactical map. FIRE to launch a lingering orbital strike laser at the selected location, dealing high damage-over-time to players caught in the selected area.
Tips for Brimstone
- On defense, after you smoke an entry point, you can molly the exact same place so that the attackers could get serious damage if they try to run into the smoke. You will also have the upper hand as the players who walk through the smoke will have less HP.
- As soon as you hear the bomb plant, you can ult the bomb site and kill the opponent. You can also use your ult for post-plant scenarios and use it when the enemy starts defusing the bomb.
- Brimstone’s molly has great lineups on every map. After planting the bomb, you can cover it and deny defuses by using the lineups.
For all information about the VCT 2023, check out our VCT Hub. There you will find our FAQ to answer all of your questions and details about the teams, different Leagues, and more.